My daughter shared with me a few weeks ago how she wants her living space to represent that of a Minimalist...ridding her space of and not adding clutter and the unnecessary... giving her the freedom to use her space, time and energy more productively and goal oriented. Plus, she just likes the look and feel of a minimalized décor.
Well, that conversation motivated me to take a look at my space and to take an assessment of how my own clutter and use of space is adding or subtracting from my time, energy and goals. So over the weekend I have been in a de-cluttering frenzy! I went to the hardware store and picked up a box of those huge thick plastic industrial trash bags! Within few hours I had filled tons of them with clothes and lots of unnecessary stuff! I will never be a minimalist…but it feels great to have purged and organized my space (actually I am still working on organizing). And, I will donate all this “stuff” to others who can really use it.
Today, I have been “skinning” Miss Rosetta’s body (the pictures below are of her pre-skinned body). Thinking back to when I was a young woman, I have fond memories of Miss Rosetta having a very special relationship with God…they’d danced in the Spirit and it didn’t matter if anyone else joined in.
Her body has a wire armature skeleton and I formed the contours of body with batting, foam, pom poms and felt..etc. With that finished now it’s time to give her skin. I sculpted a polymer clay face for her months ago. Once Miss Rosetta is skinned…then real fun begins and her personality will come to life.
You have captured the elegance and beauty of dance in motion very well. I can picture this sculpture alive and moving to the rhythmic beats of a drum. It appears to be preparing for flight as I imagine African and Native American dancers portraying their winged god spirits.
ReplyDeleteYou have a true gift as an artist by giving life and spirit to what otherwise are inanimate objects.
Bravo!
Pettis
Thanks! Pete, and congrats on you new professorship! ...and ... soon to be new home...once you decide where it should be lol! Isn't it wonderful when life provides you with options!!!!
ReplyDelete