Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Dear Friend GAVE Me Her Grandmother's 100 Year Old Treadle Sewing Machine!!!!



I have been coveting my friend Gloria grandmother's treadle sewing machine for years. When Gloria's grandmama passed several years ago (she lived to be over 1oo years old) her sewing machine and it 's mint condition cabinet simply became a sentimental piece of furniture in her home. I have always admired it and would have never asked Gloria if she would consider selling it. Gloria is a gourmet baker...her red velvet cake is to die for!!!! So for her, her only attachment to the machine are the many childhood memories of the times spent with her grandmama and the pretty things she made for her over the years. Thus, I would just admire it and hold my peace. Then a few years ago Gloria started to toy with the idea of selling it ...I jumped on that and expressed my interest if she ever decided to part with it. So you can imagine my shock and surprise...when 5 years after that conversation...she simply called me one day to tell me she wanted to give her grandma's precious machine to me! We have been very close friends for too many years to divulge ... and we talk at least 2 to 3 times per week ...but I never saw this coming. I am so honored that she trust me to not only to care for this very precious gift...but to also put it to good use. This now makes my sewing machine count 6! I have sewing machines from my very contemporary computerized/digital embroidery machine to my new 100 year old treadle!

I introduced Gloria to the love of her life over 11 years ago...she and her guy have been promising to return the favor for the same 11 years....well they haven't "hooked me up" with that special guy yet!!! But, until they do...well... I guess the sewing machine is a fair trade!!! LOL!!!!

I learned to sew on a treadle machine...and I tell you there is no other experience like being "one with the machine"....sewing on a treadle machine is like dancing a with an old familiar
partner! So as soon as I replace the treadle belt and throat plate ... it's on! Thanks!!! Gloria...you are a good and generous friend!









!

No comments:

Post a Comment