Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fighting back the tears and shallowing my screams!

I always listen to the radio on my way to work.  Every morning, the station I listen  to  always has a segment  where a classroom of children from different schools in the area recite the Pledge of Allegiance.   Usually this segment doesn't hold my attention beyond smiling at the cute sounds of  very small children's voices. 

But, today I zeroed in on the voices of these , probably  5 year old children, reciting the last line of the pledge " WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL"... the next thing I knew I was crying like a baby and had to pull over.  My heart yet breaking.... Because the image that came to mind was that of  Trevon Martin... at  age of 5 ....all the little "Trevons" in classrooms all over our country...happily ...reciting proudly  and innocently and believing in ... LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL!   Did Trevon have the LIBERTY  of wearing a hoody in the rain in order to run to the store to buy candy? Will he receive  JUSTICE for being gunned down by a self righteous, bigoted, fool???  How crazy making is it to you teach your children to love and respect the great principles of our country but on the other  hand have to explain to them that these principles won't be applied to them ????   To support  and encourage our children  to be their best selves....and  more ...when others will simply look at them and consider them less.

"If I had a son he would probably look like Trevon".  Trevon is the son of every Black parent.   I cried because ...I am still mourning for  "our son"  and because....I am sooooo angry,  sad and  heavy hearted.  I am so dang frustrated !!!  I am tired of having to swallow my screams.

 Trevon's  murder has to be the last straw...his murder is call to action ... no  more allowing the lives of our children to be devalued!!.

No comments:

Post a Comment