Sunday, June 29, 2014

My New Garden...Good Exercise and Soon to Have Good Food!!!


New Garden and New Lease on Life!!!  

My yard has been a complete mess/jungle for the past few years.  I just got too “whatever” to deal with it and then it got too over grown and unmanageable!   But all that has changed now!!!  I have had my yard all cleared out “for a tidy sum I might add” and it now has a new beginning.

My garden has become my new form of exercise, prayer/mediation time  and will soon become my new source of organic vegetables!!!...I am gonna grow some Dahlias too.  I have always loved Dahlias and envied folks who grew them.   I have 4 planting beds in my garden that haven’t been used for over 15 years!!!  So preparing them for planting by: clearing, aerating, composing and fertilizing them, was quite an undertaking!!!

I set out thinking that it would only take me a weekend to clear the overgrown beds.   But little did I know that that was just the beginning.   I tell you I have done so much digging and tilting (manually) … I have a newfound respect for grave diggers…because if I had to dig graves for a living,  everyone would be cremated!!!  Who knew there would be sooooo many rocks and crazy runs of seemingly never-ending roots!!! hiding in 12in deep below the surface!!   I eventually and literally use one of those baked cookie cooling racks to sift all the bed dirt.  Then I had to tilt it all again to add the compost and fertilizer!   This all took me 3 weeks!!!  … good news is I loss 6 lbs in the process…!!!    

 As mentioned, I have always loved working my garden.  But, I stopped when I cracked my tailbone and was out of commission for over a year and then I got too fat and didn’t have the energy to do anything.   But now as long as I can maintain good health… working in my garden will contribute to that… part of the retirement time will be given to in working my garden and yard.  And they will be beautiful again!!!  

Here are my beautiful ready to be planted garden beds!!! 

 

 
Well as soon as it stops raining I will finish up this last one....I know it a late start!!  lol

No comments:

Post a Comment