Monday, April 5, 2010

40 Days on the Daniel Fast for Lent is over...but not really!

I, my daughter, my two ( very supportive) employees, my friends Lena and Lynn and several members of my church congregation went on "the Daniel Fast" in observance of Lent.

The Daniel Fast (google it) is basically a Vegan Diet, no meat, no dairy (including eggs , butter , cheeses, milk etc), no sweeteners (or sugar substitutes including honey and cane juice) no white flour, white rice or white sugar and/ or products, no alcohol, no food chemicals/ unnatural additives, no coffee or caffeinated tea, no leavened bread , no processed or fried foods!!!!

Permitted foods include: Vegetables, Fruits, Nuts (including butters), Beans, Brown Rice, whole grain products, soy products, only high quality oils, herbal teas, fruit juices, pure water... etc.

At first, it was mind blowing!!! especially for those with both a coffee and sweet tooth addiction... thank God I don't suffer from either. This way of eating is so very different from how most of us eat...especially African Americans. However, my biggest adjustment was dairy, and processed carbohydrates and other foods. I really haven't eaten red meat for about 4 years ...but my GOD!!!!! I couldn't wrap my mind around life without CHICKEN!!!! no fried chicken????....The dessert of all meats!!!!!!! criminal!!!! right???

The first week was really rough for many because of the no coffee rule...my daughter and several of my friends turned into growling "she-wolves" who suffered from headaches and bad attitudes!!! Lord!!! that was a rough week...caffeine withdrawal makes folks mean and very emotional!!! not to mention what happens when their sugar is taken away too! I just kept my distance until they all had completed their "cold turkey" withdrawal symptoms!!!. My drug of choice is popcorn....which was allowable ..tee hee hee....dry, air popped...popcorn....hmmm!!! actually it wasn't that great...but I didn't have to go through cold turkey withdrawal!!! and I maintained a very pleasant attitude!! LOL!!!

But, seriously this has been one of the best experiences...well better stated...one of the best learning experiences of my life!!! I have really embraced the VEGAN LIFE style...I feel and look healthy and great..and even lost 15lbs (so far). I love the way I feel ... high energy, mental clarity, physically strong and high functioning internally and externally... I have no cravings and no desire to binge even when I get stressed... overall I am living a much higher quality of life!!! and loving it!!! I cook daily ( yes...me! I am cooking DAILY!) ... and have learned so much about new foods, spices, herbs, and how to prepare them ... ( I even learned how to make vegan mayonnaise from tofu!) my food now is fresh and absolutely delicious... I now do most of my grocery shopping at Trader's Joe's.

Vince (God-p) He is always my cheerleader... bought me " The Vegan Soulfood Kitchen" cookbook and I have been having so much fun with it....my collard greens now have taken on a whole new look and flavor!!!.



Side Bar: Look what I found while looking for a picture of my friends Bab's wedding...Vince (God-P) and me Cora and Joanne. We're hanging out in our bath robes in the hall of hotel in St Louis after our choir sang at a concert earlier that evening. We are soooo young!!! (actually late 20's) and Vince has hair!!!! and I have a waistline!!!! Lol!!!




So ....now that Lent is over I am declaring the following!! I am a 6 DAY VEGAN!! ..just like during the fast... 6 day of the week purely VEGAN!!! one day a week will allow myself to have CHICKEN!!!! Now, I have to confess yesterday for Easter I made my ole friend fried chicken wings!!! But, within one hour ... I was literally sick as a dog!!!! and it really didn't really taste that good either. So maybe that's the end of fried chicken...but there is still grilled jerk chicken or lemon herbs chicken breast !!! yum!!!!! Now, I am even more excited about taking my Vietnamese cooking class!

What a blessing this experience has been ... and although my daughter is now eating much more healthy ... she has not embraced this life style completely. I have! and so has Lena and ..my two employees for the most part have too...except they are making adjustments that won't interfere with their social lives and partying ...if you get my drift...lol!

For right now...this is working for me...but like any addict ...I am taking it ...with God's help!!! one day at a time... I have been " clean and poor food choices sober" for 40 DAYS!!!!! and counting!!! Ha!!!

I choose optimum health and living!!!

Sidebar: It's a good thing I am teaching part-time now....eating healthy is VERY EXPENSE!!!

Two of my favorite recipes:

Found at:
http://www.life123.com/food/cooking-tips/homemade-mayonnaise/tofu-mayonnaise.shtml

Tofu Mayonnaise
Vegans have nothing to fear with this tofu mayonnaise.
Yield 1½ cups
Time 5 minutes

Tools
Blender or food processor
Rubber spatula
Covered container

Ingredients
o 1 c firm or silken tofu
o 1 small clove garlic, minced
o 1 t good mustard
o 2 t cider vinegar
o ¼-½ t salt
o ¼ c oil (olive and/or canola)
Directions Blend the everything but the oil for a few seconds.
Without turning off the blender or food processor, slowly pour in the remaining oil. As soon as it is mixed in, turn off the blender and transfer the mayonnaise to the container.

Jamaican Jerk Chicken Breasts

Ingredients
6 chicken, breast, boneless, skinless halves
4 teaspoon Jamaican jerk seasoning
8 clove(s) garlic, minced
2 teaspoon thyme, fresh, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
2 teaspoon lemon peel
2 tablespoon lemon juice
cooking spray, olive oil-flavored
lemon, wedges
Recipe Tip:
Chill 30 minutes to 24 hours.
Preparation
1. Place a chicken breast half between sheets of plastic wrap; pound gently with the flat side of a meat mallet until an even 1/2 inch thickness. Repeat with remaining chicken. In a small bowl, combine jerk seasoning, garlic, thyme, and lemon peel. Brush chicken breasts with lemon juice. Sprinkle garlic mixture evenly over chicken breasts; rub in with your fingers. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 24 hours.

2. Lightly coat chicken with olive oil cooking spray or brush lightly with olive oil.

3. Preheat an indoor electric grill. Place chicken on the grill rack. If using a covered grill, close lid. Grill until chicken is tender and no longer pink. (For a covered grill, allow 4 to 5 minutes. For an uncovered grill, allow 8 to 10 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling.)

4. To serve, slice chicken; pass lemon wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment