Sunday, April 11, 2010

THANK YOU ELINOR!!! I AM FINALLY TAKING YOUR ADVICE AND DOING IT!!!!

Back in 2004, I was in a quandry and fearful about pursuing my art and about even calling myself an artist....especially at my age...at the time I was 54 years old...way too old to dream, was the haunting thought I entertained and reluctantly embraced. I had been making dolls and my art for over 18years... actually since childhood...but couldn't conceive of myself as more than a simple hobbyist. But, a part of myself kept nagging me...this is your heart's desire...and God's desire is that ..."No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly"...but yet...I couldn't get passed my fear. So I decided write an email to the "God Mother" ... the "Queen" of cloth dollmakers, elinor peace bailey!!

Below are excerpts from the email I sent elinor in 2004

From: Hubbard, Pammyla
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 4:06 PM
To: 'epbdolls@aol.com'
Subject: Ms Bailey, may I ask you a question?

Dear Ms. Bailey:

I have never written a letter to someone I don’t know and never met. The idea of it has always seemed a little strange, presumptuous, and intrusive…so please forgive me, if by writing I am being all those things. The proverbial “but” is however, you are doing and living out what I would love...…fantasize daily about… crave to be doing… well at least as close as I can get to it…creating, sharing, and earning a living from my art…my one true passion. My God! what is it like to awake up each morning looking forward to doing, helping others do, sharing, and being sustained by the very thing that feeds your soul?…I want that so badly…but at the same time it feels so elusive.

I know I was placed on this earth to be an artist…but never pursued formal training…although I wanted to desperately … … I really have enjoyed working with my clients and students over the years…and I know that I have helped others to improve the quality of their lives and to accomplish their dreams…....I feel good about the body of work I have accomplished over the years…”but” I still have a large void and ache in my soul.

And, now at 54 and with no formal art or design training…( part of me is still that 18 year old bursting with creativity and passion) … .... I have read numerous books by several doll artists…the first of which was yours, Mother Plays With Dolls , which actually got me started. And, I have made numerous dolls over the past 18 years........Okay….Like you really want to hear my life’s story and unfulfilled dreams. “But”, I am at a point in my life where I have to …as my grandmamma usta say (Dodo or get off the pot”). I feel like if it can be done ....… I now have the courage…and I am willing to learn whatever it takes…but is that enough?
...........Anyway, I hope you will forgive me if I have overstepped your boundaries…”but” my purpose for writing is… ....I just wanted to get your opinion…I know you can’t possibly know me very well…”but’ please allow me to ask…. from your experiences , meeting people, and working within and out of the industry…have you ever come across other single women who have started out so late in life and with limited formal training…who have taken the plunge…made the transition?…My goal is to become a practicing and contributing doll artist.
I am planning to register for Doll U and I look forward to meeting you. “........... if you have any thoughts you are willing to share with me now, I would be forever grateful.

With gratitude and admiration
Pamm Hubbard

Below is elinor's response and encouragement that launched my current journey!!!!

From: Epbdolls@aol.com [mailto:Epbdolls@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 8:59 AM
To: Hubbard, Pammyla
Subject: Re: Ms Bailey, may I ask you a question?

Dear Pamm


You are not dead so it is not too late. But this much I
have learned being an artist is not about education. It is about doing, doing , doing. In order to make money you must widen your vista to include teaching what you know. The number of people who will buy a doll is small, so is the number of people who want to make a doll, It takes a crowd to make a living from your art. Do it all. It sounds as if you are a born story teller. Think of this as your mission. To tell your story. Tell it with your dolls. Write about it. Speak to any group who will give you their ear. Do not make money the central issue. Let it flow. Your story is an ancient one, others have struggled before you to care for their family, to be obedient to the elders, and then to embrace each sweet moment we are given to make art. God keep you, remember that your mission is to release the birds, all of them, not only your own.


Love elinor peace bailey

Well with that, I not only signed-up for "Doll U" ( Doll University)...I went so far to ask to be the Great elinor peace bailey's class assistant! That was bold uh!!! Well not really, Doll U was attended by incredibly gifted dollmakers from all over the country... I figured if I assisted eleanor no one suspect my inexperience and fear... and I could hide in plain sight. tee hee hee!

Below are Doll U 2004 pictures of elinor and me. I am sure she has long forgotten me, but I will never forget her and will be forever grateful for her inspiration and encouragement!!! God Bless you and yours Ms.Bailey!!! Please visit elinor's website to see her incredible body of work!!! http://www.epbdolls.net/ her blog: http://epbdolls.typepad.com/





Here is the cherished copy of my first book by elinor and my autograph from Doll U!!! I think it is out of print now. It was first published in 1990.



No comments:

Post a Comment