I caught a glimpse of an interview with Oprah and Joel Osteen yesterday. The question was: Are people poor because they have sinned? Although, I admire both Oprah and Joel, I was disappointed in the discussion that followed the question. It was muddled and circumvented the real reason why people are poor.
I say people aren't poor because of their sins….they are poor because of our sins…individual and societal sins...sins of how we use our God given gift of free will. How we have ignored God’s command of providing for “the least of these”. God has provided enough for all of us to live abundantly … there is enough in the world for all. The sin is 1% is hoarding and controlling 90% of that abundance! Also, did you wake up this morning w/ the poor on your mind? It is not God’s will or "fault" that people live in poverty … poverty is a result of the sins that we all have committed …by deed, denial or complacency. It just bothered me so I needed to vent!
No comments:
Post a Comment